Extension Cropping Systems Weed Scientist
356 Moore Hall
Area of Focus
Weed management in corn, soybeans and small grains.
B.S., Agronomy, São Paulo State University, Brazil, 2009
M.S., Agronomy (Weed Science), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2012
Ph.D., Agronomy (Weed Science), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2016
Assistant Professor and Cropping Systems Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2016-2017
Academic Honors and Awards
- Weed Science Society of America, Outstanding Graduate Student Award, 2016.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Dean’s Fellowship, 2014-2015 & 2015-2016
- Milton E. Mohr Award (Biotechnology Degree Program Recipient), 2014-2015 & 2015-2016.
- Weed Science Society of America, Outstanding Paper in Weed Technology, 2014.
- Widaman Trust Distinguished Graduate Assistant Award, 2013-2014.
- North Central Weed Science Society, Outstanding Graduate Student Award, 2013.
- University of Nebraska Student Government, Graduate Student of the Year, 2012-2013.
- Agroecologically-based approaches to address sustainable weed management in corn, soybeans, and small grains
- Weed management strategies that can help protect water quality, enhance agroecosystems services and increase food security
- Distribution and management of herbicide-resistant weeds
- Biology and ecology of troublesome weed species
- Update and develop weed management recommendations for corn, soybeans and small grains in Wisconsin
- Serve Wisconsin growers, consultants and agricultural industry professionals
- Herbicide evaluation program
Werle, R., C. Burr, and H. Blanco-Canqui. 2018. Cereal rye cover crop suppresses winter annual weeds. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. In Press.
Vieira, B.C., S.L. Samuelson, G.S. Alves, T.A. Gaines, R. Werle, and G.R. Kruger. 2018. Distribution of glyphosate-resistant Amaranthus spp. in Nebraska. Pes Management Science. In press.
Singh, J., T. Lo, D.R. Rudnick, T.J. Dorr, C.A. Burr, R. Werle, T.M. Shaver, F. Munoz-Arriola. 2018. Performance assessment of factory and field calibrations for electromagnetic sensors in a loam soil. Agricultural Water Management. 196:87-98.
Barnes, E., R. Werle, L.D. Sandell, J.L. Lindquist, S.Z. Knezevic, P.H. Sikkema, and A. Jhala. 2017. Modeling common ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia L.) emergence pattern as influenced by tillage in Nebraska. Weed Technology. 31:623-631.
Werle, R., K. Begcy, M. K. Yerka, I. Dweikat, A. J. Jhala, J. P. Mower, and J. L. Lindquist. 2017. Independent evolution of acetolactate synthase-inhibiting herbicide resistance in weedy Sorghum populations across common geographic regions. Weed Science. 65:164-176.
Werle, R., B. Tenhumberg, and J. L. Lindquist. 2017. Modeling the evolution of shattercane resistance to ALS-inhibiting herbicides in an ALS-tolerant sorghum cropping system. Ecological Modeling. 343:131-141.
Saini, S., R. Werle, L.D. Sandell, and A. Jhala. 2016. Spring-tillage has no effect on the emergence pattern of glyphosate-resistant giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida L.) in Nebraska. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 96: 726-729.
Werle, R. A. Jhala, M.K. Yerka, J.A. Dille, and J.L. Lindquist. 2016. Distribution of herbicide-resistant shattercane and johnsongrass populations in sorghum production areas of Nebraska and northern Kansas. Agronomy Journal. 108:321-328.
Werle, R., L.J. Giesler, M.L. Bernards, and J.L. Lindquist. 2015. Likelihood of soybean cyst nematode (Heterodera glycines) reproduction on henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) roots in Nebraska. Weed Technology. 29:35-41.
Werle, R., L.D. Sandell, D.D. Buhler, R.G. Hartzler, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Predicting emergence of twenty three summer annual weed species. Weed Science. 62:267-279.
Werle, R., M.L. Bernards, T.J. Arkebauer, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Environmental triggers of winter annual weed emergence in the midwestern United States. Weed Science. 62:83-96.
Werle, R., L.L. Perez, L.D. Sandell, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Corn (Zea mays) emergence and early growth as influenced by tansymustard (Descurainia pinnata) residue. Crop Management. doi:10.2134/CM-2013-0088-RS.
Werle, R., J.J. Schmidt, J. Laborde, A. Tran, C. Creech, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Shattercane X ALS-resistant sorghum F1 hybrid and shattercane interference in ALS-resistant sorghum. Journal of Agricultural Science. 6:159-165.
Werle, R., M.L. Bernards, L.J. Giesler, and J.L. Lindquist. 2013. Influence of two herbicides on soybean cyst nematode (Heterodera glycines) reproduction on henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) roots. Weed Technology. 27:41-46.
Han, C., C. Borman, D. Osantowski, J. Wagnitz, K. Koehler-Cole, K. Korus, E. Sonderegger, R. Werle, T. Wood, and J. L. Lindquist. 2012. Productivity of field pea (Pisum sativum L.) and spring oat (Avena sativa L.) grown as sole and intercrops under different nitrogen levels. Journal of Agricultural Science. 4:136-143.
Rosolem, C.A., R. Werle, R.A. Garcia. 2010. Nitrogen washing from C3 and C4 cover grasses residues by rain. Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo. 34:1899-1905.
Werle, R., R.A. Garcia, C.A. Rosolem. 2008. Potassium leaching as affected by soil texture and potassium availability. Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo. 32:2297-2305. (In Portuguese with English abstract).